29 March 2008

Three cheers for Mike Huckabee

With all the hoo-ha about Barack Obama's former pastor's sermon (dredged up from five years ago, for crying in a bucket), one of the most sensible comments comes from rival US presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee.

Huckabee on Wright: “I probably would, too.” � Monte Asbury’s Blog:
As easy as it is for those of us who are white to look back and say, “That’s a terrible statement,” I grew up in a very segregated South, and I think that you have to cut some slack. And I’m going to be probably the only conservative in America who’s going to say something like this, but I’m just telling you: We’ve got to cut some slack to people who grew up being called names, being told, “You have to sit in the balcony when you go to the movie. You have to go to the back door to go into the restaurant. And you can’t sit out there with everyone else. There’s a separate waiting room in the doctor’s office. Here’s where you sit on the bus.” And you know what? Sometimes people do have a chip on their shoulder and resentment. And you have to just say, I probably would too. I probably would too. In fact, I may have had … more of a chip on my shoulder had it been me.

4 comments:

seev said...

Yes, good for him. That's the reality.

Anonymous said...

I have no great sorrow that Huckabee is out of the race though McCain makes me dither also - but I have to agree with you and Seev.
Obama is on a tightrope but I do hope most fervently he makes it to the Oval Office.

Bryan Riley said...

Wow. Great statement. Of course, Governor Huckabee has been known for putting his honest feelings out there in an articulate way.

Monte said...

Thanks for the link! Rare to come across something that uplifting in the midst of such controversy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails