03 February 2008

Sydney Anglicans ordain 48 deacons

In my Anglican days, I was once a member of a commission on the diaconate, which met over a period of thee years at considerable expense to fly people to different cities for meetings.

When the Commission came to present its work to the provincial synod of the Anglican Church in South Africa, the synod voted to pass to the next business, thus tossing three years work down the drain.

So perhaps I should see this as encouraging news

your.sydneyanglicans.net - media releases - From near and far for Ordination:
Hundreds of people, some from as far away as Broken Hill, have packed St. Andrew’s Cathedral for the ordination of 48 men and women for ministry.

The group included 31 year old Jonathan Lilley, the first Aboriginal candidate to complete the full four year course at Moore College.


Now I am an Orthodox deacon, and my bishop sometimes urges me to consider being ordained as a priest, and I say I might consider it when there are two deacons in every parish.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails