29 November 2010

Thanks but no thanks

I thought I'd visit a blog of a blogger who visited my blog.

Found his blog had closed, and was redirected to another site.

First hoop.

Got this message:

You are accessing

roezer.com

This website is participating in a project to stop the spread of viruses and malware online. Often, people do not realize their computers are infected.


Your computer or network (196.25.255.246) is showing signs of infected behavior. You are being alerted so you can take action.

To resolve the problem:

  • Make sure your anti-virus, anti-malware, or computer security is up-to-date.

  • Run a full scan of your computer and remove any viruses, worms, trojans, or other infections found.

  • If your computer or network stops showing signs of infected behavior, this alert will no longer trigger.

Warning: JavaScript is not enabled in your browser!

In order to request temporary access to roezer.com, you must have JavaScript enabled in your browser!


Too many hoops, so I gave up.

There are two main reasons I disable Javascript. One is that it is sometimes exploited by sites that have viruses, malware, and other bad behaviour. The second is that some sites, especially news sites, have streaming video or whatever they call it that eats up bandwidth at a rapid rate.

Telkom recently upped the monthly bandwidth allowance to 9 Gigs, and for the last two months we have managed to reach the end of the month without having to buy more bandwidth, but I'm not taking any chances by enabling Javascript for all sites all the time.



1 comment:

PamBG said...

Yeah, see, in the US there are no bandwidth restrictions.[1] We had them in the UK when I first started using the internet in about 1999 but the restrictions died out there too.

[1] I can actually pick up a neighbour's wi-fi from here. They seem to keep it on almost 24/7 and it's unlocked. There have been times when ours dropped out, my computer picked up their WiFi and I found out I'd been using theirs for awhile without knowing it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails