18 June 2008

Adobe Flash 9.0 and the Guest Book

In the sidebar on the right is a link to a Bravenet Guestbook, which some visitors to this and my other web pages have signed.

Unfortunately it no longer works, thanks to Adobe Flash 9.0.

Because of the tendency to spam guest books, this one is set up so that postings have to be apporved before they appear -- about 90% of them as spam. But I can no longer approve them, because to do so I have to install Flash 9.0. I can read the guestbook without Flash 9.0, but I can't edit it.

And unfortunately Flash 9.0 is a very badly-behaved program, which overwrites my autoexec.bat settings. I've installed it a couple of times before, and every time I've done so I've had to do a "system restore" because of all the things that stop working after I've installed it -- things that are far more important to me than the dubious benefits of Flash 9.0.

So there's no point in signing the guest book, since I'm unable to approve your entry.

That's progress, as the computer world knows it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails