30 April 2010

Ning’s Bubble Bursts: No More Free Networks, Cuts 40% Of Staff

Ning’s Bubble Bursts: No More Free Networks, Cuts 40% Of Staff:
One month after long-time Ning CEO Gina Bianchini was replaced by COO Jason Rosenthal, the company is making some major changes: It has just announced that it is killing off its free product, forcing existing free networks to either make the change to premium accounts or migrate their networks elsewhere. Rosenthal has also just announced that the company has cut nearly 70 people — over 40% of its staff.

I haven't heard anthing official about this. I have two social networks on Ning, one a neighbourhood one, and the other for Orthodox missiologists, and when I visited them I saw no demands to pay up or move out, and there were still invitations to create new networks. I belong to a couple of others, AngliMergent and New Monasticism, and posted something on my blog at the latter just yesterday, and again there were no signs that either was closing.

According to Adam Gonnerman at Igneous Quill there is something called grou.ps which might work as a substitute. I tried to link to Igneous Quill but Blogger says "We're sorry, but we were unable to complete your request.
The following errors were found:
u: Must be at most 256 characters"
So maybe another time.

1 comment:

James Higham said...

That one went right over my head, I'm afraid, Steve.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails