03 September 2009

Friendship as a marketable commodity

"Can't buy me love", the Beatles sang 45 years ago, but that doesn't stop people from trying to sell it to you.

uSocial - Buy Facebook Fans & Friends!:
Friends: people say they can't be bought, though in this day and age it's simply not the case. Our newest service will enable you to get more Facebook friends with ease by buying them in packages up to 5,000.

How we get you friends is simply by finding out exactly what industry, niche, or target market you are wanting to find people to target and then we go about attaining relevent friends for you and adding them to your Faceboook account. Every single person we gain for you will be real users and exactly relevant to what you are looking for -- this is our guarantee.

In a consumer society, why shouldn't love and friendship be a consumer item like anything else?

Perhaps we need to think more seriously about an alternative society.

4 comments:

James Higham said...

It's a sad commentary when friendship becomes marketable.

Anonymous said...

Not surprising, when you consider that uSocial aren't talking about friends so much as potential customers for whatever product service you're looking to sell. That in itself is creepy. When we start seeing "friends" as nothing more than a "target audience" for our marketing, then friendship has lost all meaning.

Of course, I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Facebook to begin with. I have an account there, and it's been nice in the fact that I've been able to make contact with a few old friends. But I find most of the interaction with my friends there to be superficial at best, usually in the form of someone asking me to play the latest game, take the latest quiz, or accept some electronic gift from another application.

The main exception to that experience is that I have a small group of friends I originally met on an online diary site. Since we have all left that site, we've hooked back up on Facebook and sometimes have the kinds of conversations that are reminiscent of the good old days.

Steve Hayes said...

I use Facebook as a kind of initial contact, but find it quite inadequate for regular contact with people.

If womeone sends me a message on Facebook wanting to discuss something, I aske them to contact me by e-mail, or face-to-face if they are closer enough. I check my e-mail several times a day, but Facebook once ro twise a week. But I still don't want phony friends there, because then I'd have to have another social network to keep track of my real friends.

CherryPie said...

True friendship and love cannot be bought.

Connections and contacts in RL or on the net do not = friends.

Friendship is something quite different from just knowing someone.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails