07 August 2008

GAFCON: Peddling Smut for Jesus with J. Mark Brewer

There has been much discussion of J. Mark Brewer's controversial takeover of the SPCK bookshops in the UK, where, among other things, he banned the sale of the Qu'ran, but seems not to be so selective in some of his other outlets: GAFCON: Peddling Smut for Jesus with J. Mark Brewer:
Certainly, Mark Brewer’s new range includes titles the old SPCK would have never dreamed of carrying: as just two screenshots from my most stimulating morning’s shopping reveal:

Spanking - A subject shamefully neglected in modern Seminaries

Mark Brewer - restoring traditional Christian literature to SPCK stores

Clearly Orthodoxy J. Mark Brewer style is a whole lot more fun that anyone realised, and I must commend the SSG trust for recognizing that they’ll make more selling copies of 'Sinful Sex: The Uninhibited Guide to Erotic Pleasure” (another title that caught my eye this morning) than they can ever hope to get from “Great Beards of Byzantium” or whatever it is that’s usually topping the Orthodox bookseller’s charts.

I've commented on the missiological aspects of this on my Khanya blog, but with each new revelation it seems to go from bad to worse.

1 comment:

Yewtree said...

Alas, does this mean that the SPCK will become more like the ghastly Wesley Owen chain of evangelical Christian bookshops?

I nearly bought a book about Hildegard of Bingen in the Bristol SPCK a few years ago. (I didn't buy it in the end because there was too much text and not enough pictures, if I recall correctly).

In an independent church bookshop in Cambridge about a decade ago, they had S L MacGregor Mathers' TheKabbalah Unveiled, to my amazement.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails