07 July 2011

Fantasy literature

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

I saw that on Jeffrey Turner's sig in the alt.usage.english newsgroup. I don't know if it was original with him, or an unattributed quotation from someone else, but I liked it, so I thought I'd put it here.

3 comments:

Clarissa said...

Loved the quote! I put it on my blog, too. I linked back to you, of course.

Steve Hayes said...

I posted it on the Inklings literary discussion forum, and someone responded with what he thinks is the original at Kung Fu Monkey: Ephemera 2009 (7)

CherryPie said...

This made me smile :-) I am a big fan of orcs ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails