04 October 2007

Why I avoid YouTube, Podcasts etc

I never watch YouTube or other online video stuff. I never listen to Podcasts (don't even have a speaker connected to my computer). I hate it when people refer me to such things online, or when they fill their blogs with multiple photos and videos. I now avoid Facebook, because I'm overwhelmed by demands to look at things that require me to download and install yet another bandwidth-consuming (and possibly privacy-threatening) "app".

Why?

The end-of-the-month broadband blues, that's why.

Read this article: The cap that chokes.

We switched to broadband nearly two years ago, just after my BBS computer finally crashed. We calculated that by giving up the extra phone line, broadband would cost about the same as we were paying for dialup (about R750 a month), and we wouldn't have to rush to get everything done on the Internet before 7:00 am, and then wait for callmore time to kick in again at 8:00 pm before looking again. At least if someone referred to a web site in an e-mail or newsgroup, one could look at it any any time of day, instead of saving it up for the evening.

Or so we thought.

What they didn't tell us was that the 2 Gig cap would mean no access at all for half the month. We increased it to 3 Gig (the max). Last month we ran out on the 26th. The month before we ran out on 21st. At least for the last couple of months e-mail still worked, but before that even e-mail was cut off. That doesn't apply to web-mail addresses, of course, like Yahoo or Google mail -- they are still cut off.

And if someone refers to a web site in an e-mail message, sometimes it's not a matter of waiting till callmore time in the evening to look at it, but waiting till Internet access comes back at the end of the month.

It makes blogging impossible. It makes online calendars virtually useless, if you can't check your appointments for half the month. And then the first three days of the month are spent catching up -- trying to read the comments on one's blog (and the complaints that one hasn't responded to someone's comment), reading other people's blogs, deleting spam, marking Usenet trolls as read, putting all the real e-mail into the "to reply" folder.

And that happens even when I do avoid videos, YouTube, podcasts and the like. I wonder how anyone manages to use them. Some people must be looking at those YouTube inserts in blogs, or listening to those podcasts, but how do they manage it?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the warning. I am comtemplating switching over to broadband, but my wife has put a cap on it- so I am stuck with dialup
:-(. Any alternatives to consider... dial-up is killing me.

Steve Hayes said...

Yes, but if you do get broadband, just don't make the mistake of thinking you can watch videos that things like that!

Wonderworking Words said...

We don't have broadband caps here in the States. Broadband is broadband, anytime day or night, unlimited usage for the whole month, and it's relatively cheap. Perhaps that's why YouTube and podcasting are running rampant here.

Nathan said...

Wonderworking is right on, we have no caps on access. When you first posted about this, I didn't understand what you were talking about for that reason.

Unknown said...

mmm..moving to the States might be an alternative... but then...maybe its cheaper to bust my cap down here in Africa, south of the Sahara.lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails