08 August 2007

The Caucasian Church is flourishing

When I think of Caucasians I think first of Stalin, who was probably the most famous Caucasian of the last century or two, the former seminarian who tried to destroy the Church and propagate atheism. Under his rule more than 200000 clergy and monastics were killed, and many more were sent to concentration camps.

But what is happening in his homeland, Georgia, today?

What is happening to the Christian faith he once tried to destroy?

The Church is flourishing, that's what.

Read all about it in Notes from a CommonplaceBook, travellers tales, with beautiful pictures, of a recent visit to Georgia.

3 comments:

Deek Deekster said...

"Does this mean I can put your blog back on my blogroll?" - of course, Steve.

Anonymous said...

Steve, it's interesting that you say you think first of Stalin. Why is that? I would never think of Stalin when I thought of the church but my background is different from yours. And what is the Caucasian Church? It sounds somewhat prejudical to refer to it as such. Do we refer to the African Church, Asian Church? I'd like to know your thinking on this.

Steve Hayes said...

I think of Stalin because he's the first Caucasian that comes to mind. He was the most famous Caucasian in my lifetime, though perhaps "notorious" would be better than famous.

I certainly refer to the African Church a lot, though not so much the Asian Church, but that's because I live in Africa. I did refer to the Asian Church when I visited Asia, but that was 20 years ago, so my impressions and experience of the Asian Church are probably out of date.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails